Fresh Berry Tarts
Summertime calls for refreshing and light desserts. Berry tarts are nice because they highlight the season’s best produce in their natural state.
These are so simple- they really take about 7 minutes to prepare. In addition, they’re an economic but classy solution to the summer appetizer/dessert dilemma.
The berry tarts have 4 elements– the “crust”, the jam, the yogurt and the berries.
Now here’s the secret: the crust is baked wonton wrappers.
- 50 wonton wrappers are $2.50
- They crisp up in 5 minutes with little to no oil
- They’re the perfect base to both sweet and savory tarts
Fresh Berry Tarts
Courtesy Cornell Cooperative Extension of Saratoga County
Mini muffin tin
Active- 6 minutes Inactive- 5 minutes
How ever many you want. Seriously!
- Wonton wrappers
- 1 – 2 cups Greek yogurt, flavored if possible
- 1 – 1.5 cups all fruit jam
- 1-2 cups fresh berries or fruit slices
- Turn oven to 375* F. Spray mini muffin tin with vegetable oil and then press wonton wrappers into the holes.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until lightly brown. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Add about 1 tsp of jam, 1 heaping tsp of Greek yogurt, and fresh fruit to each tart. Garnish with mint leaves if desired.
Variations + Tips:
- For a sweeter base, spray the wonton wrappers with vegetable oil and sprinkle cinnamon sugar before baking.
- You can use plain coconut milk yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt
- Look for the ingredients at the Farmers’ Market-Most sell Greek yogurt and there are bound to be berries!
- Blueberry jam/ blueberry Greek yogurt/ blueberries
- Strawberry jam/ vanilla Greek yogurt/ strawberries
- Peach preserves/ maple Greek yogurt/ sliced peaches
- Pepper jelly/ plain Greek yogurt/ sliced cherry tomato
Step 1 left, Step 2 right
Farmers’ market blueberry Greek yogurt. Even the blueberry jam on top is local!
Today was my first day teaching Back Yard Pool. Another guard and I go around to residential pools to teach kids how to swim. The YMCA pool where I usually work is indoors so it’s so nice to be outside in the sun!
My uniform is a bathing suit and I spend the day hanging out with kids in their 88* pools…what a job. 🙂