Dal Masala Curry
“Directions” (loosely defined…)
- Cook 1 c. lentils with 3 cups water, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt in a rice cooker for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile… heat a tsp of oil in a large Calphlon. Sautee a diced onion with the following:
- Red pepper flakes
- Cayenne pepper
- 3 Bay leaves
- Anise seed
- Black pepper
- Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook for another 3 minutes
- Add 1 24 oz can stewed tomatoes (I like Fermano’s brand) and break up.
- Add (!!!!) 1 dry habanero pepper and stir
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes then remove the habanero. Re-cover and continue simmering until lentils are done to al dente (about 10 more minutes)
- Stir in lentils and chopped snap peas plus a handful of cilantro.
- Heat covered for about 5 more minutes then SERVE
I love Indian food!!!! It’s so so much fun to cook and make your own!